This church belongs to the twelfth century, on the outside it has a dome-shaped cube form. The floor of this church has the shape of the cross. The rocks and cornices of the corners are well-made, taken from the ancient Orik’s buildings. On the walls of the inner walls of the church, colorful fragments of wall paintings come alive
The abandoned Sazan island will turn into an important tourism destination in our country. The National Coast Agency has started work on pursuing an ambitious project to return the island to an important area of regional tourism. Its director Auron Tare visited the island yesterday and “inaugurated” the launch of the works with the rise of the red flag. A French agency called “Conservatuar de Littoral” will work closely with specialists at the National Agency of the Coast. The latter are staying on the island of Sazani to implement the action plan of the start of the project “Sazani”, a project aimed at turning Sazani Island into a first class tourist attraction, respecting the ecosystem correctly and the history of the island. In addition to the tourist aspect, the project seeks to create a Scientific Research Center on the island, which will conduct studies on marine ecosystems, naval archeology, alternative energy, turning this center into a focus of collaboration with international universities. Sazani is an island with a perfect geography to develop maritime tourism, adventure, history and fishing. A section of underwater relics such as amphora and other objects found near the island have been recovered by Albanian archeologists and are exhibited at the Historical and Archaeological Museum in Durres. The island has an ancient history dating from the VI century p.e.s. named Sason. During the Middle Ages, the island switched to Venice. In the new times along with the Ionian islands of Greece was occupied by England. From the time of Julius Caesar until the Second World War, a number of naval battles have developed on the coast around the Vlora Bay, with the result that some of the ships were drowned.
“The Monastery of St. Mary of Zvërnec is one of the most famous Byzantine monasteries in the Vlora region. It is located in a place shifted to a Narta Island lagoon. The distance from the inhabited centers, the isolation and the protected place made this location suitable for setting up such an object. Even the founder of monastic life, Pakomi, in such places began the activity of monarchy once in Egypt of the fourth century.
Detained in separate monasteries there lived monks, people who fled everyday life and sought solitude for peace and tranquility. Their job was to pray to the master together and spend the rest of the time devoting you to crafts, writing books, or other human activities. The packet also defined the first rules of this service such as the oath, belief, and obedience to the commander, which were associated with the creation of the first monasteries, which were special institutions operating within the church.”
“The canyon of Kanin is located 6 km from the city of Vlora. This fortress was mentioned since the IV century. However, traces have been discovered since the Illyrian period. It is believed that it was built since the III century. The later traces are those of Byzantine, Venetian and Turkish periods. The castle was rebuilt by Justinian in the 5th century and repaired by Sultan Sulejmani in 1531. The castle rises atop a hill with a height of 380 meters above sea level. It has an area of 3.6 hectares. From here opens a beautiful view towards Vlora and its bay.
In the middle of the Vlora bay, high mountains approach to the shore, dividing it into two parts. In this area, slightly drained in the depths, a 379 m high hill is built, where the ruins of an old city, that of Kanin, lie. Here, the valley of the Vlora River is extended to the shadow of the hill, thus facilitating the connection of the coastal area with the hinterland. This is the most important factor, since south the mountains gain high altitude, while with the north the distance between the coast and the valley of the Vlora River rises quite rapidly. These are the conditions that determine the strategic importance of Kanin, as well as the crossing from the southern part to the north (and vice versa), as well as to the connection of the Vlora River Trees with the Gulf of Vlora. On the other hand, the hills around it create good conditions for the development of livestock, while in the east there are quite large and suitable agricultural lands, thus complementing the strategic and economic position.
The above conditions have influenced in this place since the ancient times, to give birth to a fortified center, whose life lasts almost uninterrupted until the last century. Of course, the role of this center has not always been the same, so it has had a first-rate role or has been dependent on other centers in function of the socio-economic conditions of the respective periods. In addition to the strategic and economic conditions, the country also fulfills the other requirements needed for the establishment of a fortified center: communication, drinking water, stone construction and natural protection.
It is set in one of the oldest buildings of the city, which was built in the mid-19th century. This building has been declared a cultural monument. The museum is very pleasing to visitors and reflects the special features of Vlora’s district tradition. Among them, they include the best traditions of material culture, worked by residents of the Vlora district, where they distinguish them from metal, wood, clothing and embroidery, fishing. In the building where the Ethnographic Museum was located, in 1908 was created the patriotic club “Labëria” with honorary president Ismail Qemal Vlora. Also, in 1909, the first Albanian-language school for the city’s widows, headed by patriot Marigo Posio, was born here.
It was created in 1936 and is the first Albanian museum. From the creation to the present day, it has grown, supplemented and consolidated as one of the most important museum objects not only in the Vlora district but also beyond. On the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the proclamation of National Independence, it was proclaimed National Museum. The building itself and everything is exposed to it, representing one of the most important moments in the history of the Albanian nation. In this building, the foundations of the Albanian state have been laid.
For six months, the Government of Ismail Qemali was established and functioning, which was established after the declaration of independence. The Museum of National Independence is considered a popular museum object. It consists of 2 rooms and 2 corridors. In it are exhibited original time objects that reflect, important documents of the Renaissance and Independence period, as well as various works of art dedicated to this period, the weight of which exceeds the local targets.
For the first time after many decades, the building of the Museum of Independence was completely rehabilitated in 2002, on the occasion of the 90th anniversary of the Declaration of National Independence. With this investment, this object gained more value and became more enjoyable for visitors. His premises are visited every day, dozens of citizens.
It is located south of Vlora city, near the port.