It is set in one of the oldest buildings of the city, which was built in the mid-19th century. This building has been declared a cultural monument. The museum is very pleasing to visitors and reflects the special features of Vlora’s district tradition. Among them, they include the best traditions of material culture, worked by residents of the Vlora district, where they distinguish them from metal, wood, clothing and embroidery, fishing. In the building where the Ethnographic Museum was located, in 1908 was created the patriotic club “Labëria” with honorary president Ismail Qemal Vlora. Also, in 1909, the first Albanian-language school for the city’s widows, headed by patriot Marigo Posio, was born here.
It was created in 1936 and is the first Albanian museum. From the creation to the present day, it has grown, supplemented and consolidated as one of the most important museum objects not only in the Vlora district but also beyond. On the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the proclamation of National Independence, it was proclaimed National Museum. The building itself and everything is exposed to it, representing one of the most important moments in the history of the Albanian nation. In this building, the foundations of the Albanian state have been laid.
For six months, the Government of Ismail Qemali was established and functioning, which was established after the declaration of independence. The Museum of National Independence is considered a popular museum object. It consists of 2 rooms and 2 corridors. In it are exhibited original time objects that reflect, important documents of the Renaissance and Independence period, as well as various works of art dedicated to this period, the weight of which exceeds the local targets.
For the first time after many decades, the building of the Museum of Independence was completely rehabilitated in 2002, on the occasion of the 90th anniversary of the Declaration of National Independence. With this investment, this object gained more value and became more enjoyable for visitors. His premises are visited every day, dozens of citizens.
It is located south of Vlora city, near the port.